Dear mamma 🙂
My name is Sophie Villeneuve and I am a Pelvic Health Physiotherapist. Since 2015, I have been helping hundreds of women to prepare and recover from birth so they can enjoy their family life and activities without pelvic symptoms.
Because it is unacceptable to me that, for years, women have been told that leaking urine when they sneeze, cough or jump is "normal" as soon as they become a mom. It is also unacceptable that mothers should carry on with their lives with painful sex, chronic hip or back pain, prolapse, or bowel control issues, and have no guidance as to how to recover properly from birth.
Believe me ladies - I have treated many mammas who came to me years after the birth of their child (sometimes 20 years!) with postpartum issues that could have been prevented through prenatal education and immediate postpartum pelvic care. They stopped doing the sports they loved, they were putting a pad on when playing with their kids, they were "toughing it out" during intercourse to save their marriage. This is NOT the way it is going to be for you!
What I want for you is...
- to confidently run around with your kids without fear of leaking urine
- to enjoy a pain free sex life after Baby
- to have a mobile & pain free back, pelvis & hips during and after pregnancy
- to learn how to prevent pelvic symptoms so you can enjoy your activities with your family
I want you to have the quality of life you deserve as a mother!
First, if you are an expecting mother, know that learning about pelvic health right now will be your most powerful tool in preventing long term pelvic issues that often arise from pregnancy and delivery. A bit like a runner would prepare months ahead for a marathon, preparing your body and pelvis for birth should be part of your pregnancy plan. For example:
- Knowing how to engage your pelvic floor, and release it
- Knowing which births positions can help your pelvis to open during your labour and delivery, so baby can move down easily
- Knowing how to push effectively to protect your pelvic health
- Knowing what you should or should not do in those first few weeks after baby is born to protect your body from long term injuries, whether you went through a vaginal or belly birth
If you are a postpartum mamma, do not worry if you missed the train on consulting me during pregnancy. Because you know what - it is never too late to take care of your pelvic health! The earlier you consult, the more we can fix things now before they get big. So come on my way if you want to...
- learn how to heal your vaginal tear or abdominal separation (diastasis recti) properly
- get a thorough assessment of your pelvic floor so you can move forward with your activities safely
- know if you have a prolapse and what to do about it
- get your pelvis re-aligned after delivery to address your low back/hip or pelvic pain symptoms
- address painful sex or bowel control issues
Working with me 🙂
Now if you want to learn from me, there are different options for you 🙂
- Take my prenatal LIVE class "Get your Floor Ready for Baby" so I can teach you everything I know about birth prep
- If you cannot make it live, consider my ONLINE version of "Get your Floor Ready for Baby" and do it at your own pace from the comfort of your home
- Book a 1-1 prenatal consultation so we can address your specific concerns
- Attend Postpartum Floor & Core Awareness Program where moms & babies can socialize while learning about postpartum healing
- Book a 1-1 postnatal consultation to get a thorough check and make a plan for your recovery
- Watch my videos on my Beyond Birthing Youtube Channel
- Read my blog and learn my recommendations about different symptoms
- Take a peak at my Insta (@beyondbirthingpt) & FB pages so you can enjoy pictures of my dogs and see what's going on in my life!
Postgraduate training & certifications
- Oct 2020 - Special Considerations for Cesarean Sections: Preparing and Recovering from Belly Birth (Uro Santé, online)
- June 2020 - Treating and Training the Female Runner (Julie Wiebe, online)
- Oct 2019 - Visceral mobilization 1 (Barral Institute, Vancouver)
- Jan 2019 - Birth Healing Specialist certification (Institute for Birth Healing, Colorado)
- Dec 2018 - Advanced treatment of the postpartum Body (Institute for Birth Healing, Colorado)
- Nov 2018 - Holistic Treatment of the postpartum body (Institute for Birth Healing, Colorado)
- Oct 2018 - Holistic Treatment of the pregnant body (Institute for Birth Healing, Colorado)
- Sept 2015 - Treating the Pain System: a New Model of Care (Pelvic Health Solutions, Calgary)
- Feb 2015 - Female & Male Pelvic Pain (Pelvic Health Solutions, Calgary)
- Jan 2015 - The Physical Therapy Approach to Female & Male Urinary Incontinence (Pelvic Health Solutions, Toronto)